Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If it were easy...

From Meg Lacey:

In a fit of office organizing, I decided to clear a closet where I had some old unpublished novels. Rather than recycle the paper immediately I took a trip down memory lane...which is something I do very seldom as I prefer to move and look forward. Being a masochist that day, however-- actually, I was avoiding working on a frustrating WIP -- I sat on the floor and reviewed some of the early work to see if I had any interesting ideas that I could redevelop.

For hours I wallowed in my past mistakes as a new writer, and patted myself on the back for what I discovered instinctively worked even if I didn't know why at the time. The interesting thing about this experience, besides clearing my closet space, was the rediscovery of it all. As I read, I realized where I make the same mistakes and where I make new ones. But, what really hit me was how much I loved creating new lives with new people to live them. I loved doing that in the beginning of my career and I love it now. The work changes, but the joy of creation never does.

There is something so magical about sitting down with your fingers on the keys and opening a door to somewhere else, to a life you can control -- somewhat, because characters seem to have a mind of their own and they insist on doing their own thing. There is also an opportunity to live vicariously as you become these characters and interact with people you might never have an opportunity to meet, or experience situations that are completely opposite of your own. You can be witty, wise, compassionate, or utter the perfect insult, be forever slender and appealing, never have a bad hair day unless you want to, etc. We get to create worlds where we can wield the power of words and create the people who speak them; where we can help determine an outcome that makes sense.

I think that is the real power of romance writing and those who are compelled to write and read the stories. Our writing brings us into a world that offers a satisfying ending every time. Wouldn't it be great if real life always did the same?!

Meg

THE FIREMAN'S CHRISTMAS,
November, 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment